Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 09:44:54 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 07:43:12 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Plus the Midori and Singularity learning that ended up in
> mainstream .NET, to the point that one can use .NET Native,
> .NET Core 3 and the upcoming .NET 5 for low level stuff that a
> couple of years ago C++ would be the only option in Windows.

Is .NET Native available on other platforms than Windows?  Mono
seems to perform less well...

> Regarding UIs, in what concerns OS SDKs, C++ has already lost
> the crown it had on 90's systems, nowadays it is used for the
> composition engine/visual layer and respective drivers, with
> everything else done in some managed language, with the

Not only managed, but UI-tweaking is better done in a language
that doesn't require compilation, with hot reload (changes are
visible in the running application without closing it first).

> Right now, D doesn't look like a viable solution to any of
> those scenarios as C++ replacement, hence the lack of interest.

IMO, right now there are too many similar-looking languages.
Whoever stands out for some very specific use scenarios gain
ground.

I found it a bit interesting that the Swift Server WG has 2
people from IBM on board, maybe they see it as an alternative to
Java with lower memory footprint (no GC). I wish I knew why they
think Swift would be a good solution on the server.