Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Nov 20 12:14:45 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 09:44:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 07:43:12 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>> Plus the Midori and Singularity learning that ended up in
>> mainstream .NET, to the point that one can use .NET Native,
>> .NET Core 3 and the upcoming .NET 5 for low level stuff that a
>> couple of years ago C++ would be the only option in Windows.
>
> Is .NET Native available on other platforms than Windows?  Mono
> seems to perform less well...

No, but there are tons of devs that only care about a specific
platform.

In what concerns AOT story in .NET, besides IL2CPP and Burst from
Unity, there is also Xamarin AOT toolchain used for iOS/Android,
and .NET 5 roadmap plans to replace .NET Native with Mono AOT
implementation, so I imagine Microsoft is planning some
improvements there.

>> Regarding UIs, in what concerns OS SDKs, C++ has already lost
>> the crown it had on 90's systems, nowadays it is used for the
>> composition engine/visual layer and respective drivers, with
>> everything else done in some managed language, with the
>
> Not only managed, but UI-tweaking is better done in a language
> that doesn't require compilation, with hot reload (changes are
> visible in the running application without closing it first).
>
>> Right now, D doesn't look like a viable solution to any of
>> those scenarios as C++ replacement, hence the lack of interest.
>
> IMO, right now there are too many similar-looking languages.
> Whoever stands out for some very specific use scenarios gain
> ground.
>
> I found it a bit interesting that the Swift Server WG has 2
> people from IBM on board, maybe they see it as an alternative
> to Java with lower memory footprint (no GC). I wish I knew why
> they think Swift would be a good solution on the server.

IBM is responsible for one Swift server framework.

https://github.com/IBM-Swift/Kitura

Java will get value types (with experimental version already
available), and IBM has their own JVM implementations as well, so
I doubt that, just being present in all fronts I guess.