Why do C++ programmers are not interested in D?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Nov 23 12:52:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-11-22 at 13:39 +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 22 November 2019 at 08:26:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

[…]
> Some universities.

Good point, I was wrong to imply the claim all universities.

> Mine was quite strong in C++, and still teaches it to this day.

I had been teaching C++ in term 2 (term 1 was using Miranda) at UCL and we
switched to Java in both terms with a suitable change of content to do much
more on algorithms and data structures. Then I moved to KCL and we switched
Modula-2 to Java in terms 1 and 2 with roughyl the same course content as at
UCL (I wonder why? :-) ).

> The only lectures that switched to Java in 1996/97 were compiler
> design and distributed systems, with artificial intelligent
> allowing it as alternative in addition to the Prolog/C++/Lisp
> trio for assignment work.
>
> It is always a question of university quality level.

And indeed country. It was the top flight universities in the UK that made the
switch to Java.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200