Prototype of Ownership/Borrowing System for D

Doc Andrew x at x.com
Mon Nov 25 20:32:03 UTC 2019

On Monday, 25 November 2019 at 00:10:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Looks more like it is defining what authors should not do in
> unsafe code for Rust to make optimizations under the assumption
> that unsafe code is wellbehaved. Then they provide an
> interpreter that dynamically borrow checks tests by running the
> code... In order to capture situations that rust cannot deal
> with statically. Or something to that effect.
>
> TLDR; they specify undefined behaviour in order to enable
> optimization.

Yeah, that's about as much as I was able to take from it
yesterday. I wasn't sure if the stacked borrow technique might be
useful for catching some of the errors that Timon pointed out
with the interface between @live and @system code. I think most
of us would consider the UB an error, rather than an issue with
optimization?