Some thoughts

berni44 dlang at d-ecke.de
Tue Nov 26 13:28:17 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 09:11:33 UTC, S.G wrote:
> Fixing D bugs is a one way process so I don't even recommend
> doing this seriously, e.g on a daily basis, several hours per
> days. This will inexorably leads to frustration. Fix bugs if at
> work your company needs some particular fixes, fix bugs if you
> need some fixes for your own side-projects, fix bugs if this is
> required for your studies. But don't fix bugs just for the love
> of the D programming language.

I strongly disagree here. Fixing bugs is a little bit like doing
the cleaning up. Of course you can start to clean your cooking
pot just before you need it. But chances are, that at that time
you've got not the time to do so. And additionally, fixing bugs
also helps others.

Of course, if fixing bugs leads to frustration, then you
shouldn't do it if you do not need to. But not all people are the
same. For me it's often like solving sort of a mathematical
problem and I feel happy, when I managed to do so. (And getting
money for it might even be contraproductive in my case.)

And there is one more benefit for removing bugs early: Bugs in
software tend to produce more bugs, because changes often have to
work around old bugs and when the bug is fixed later, these
places might become new bugs.

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 09:24:19 UTC, S.G wrote:
> Unfortunately the gamification you describe is childish IMO. "a
> star next to the name in the forum", common I don't care that
> people think I'm a level 100. I prefer being an anonymous but
> efficient fixer that regularly gets 100 bucks for the work.

Again: People are different. If you may make people do the work
for stars next to the name, you do not need to found the 100
bucks.