Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

Jab jab_293 at gmall.com
Fri Nov 29 05:16:08 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 November 2019 at 20:46:45 UTC, Ethan wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 November 2019 at 19:37:47 UTC, Jab wrote:
>> Do you have any more information on the topic? I remember
>> digging through Qt and there are sections that completely
>> avoid the GPU all together as it is too inaccurate for the
>> computation that was required. Can't recall exactly what it
>> was.
>
> This would have been an accurate statement when GPUs were
> entirely fixed function. But then this little technology called
> "shaders" was introduced to consumer hardware in 2001.
>
> GPUs these days are little more than programmable number
> crunchers that work *REALLY FAST* in parallel.

It was Qt5, which is pretty recent, so no fixed pipelines are
used.

That's kind of what I was surprised about looking through Qt.
Quite a bit of it is still done on the CPU, things I wouldn't
have expected. Which is why I was wondering if there was any more
information on the topic.

IIRC GPUs are limited in what they can do in parallel, so if you
only need to do 1 things for a specific job the rest of the GPU
isn't really being fully utilized.