Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 12:29:59 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 at 05:35:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> As I said earlier, I *REALLY* wanted to implement Cyclone, my
> CQL/SQL script runner in D.

are you familiar with my libraries? your code there looks trivial
to do in D, the only piece I don't have sitting on my shelf is
the cassandra one, and since there's a C library for that, that'd
be easily accessible with my framework.

I think it is folly to insist on rewriting everything in your own
language/library of choice. I'll agree there - the big guys might
be able to do that (or be popular enough to get the other
companies to officially support you) but D isn't really in that
position. But we do have excellent interop with the lingua franca
of apis - C. I have had reliable database code for ages because I
just use an interface over the official C client libraries.

HTTP I wrote from scratch, but even that got bootstrapped by
reusing the existing stuff - the original cgi interface (which
btw is now a misnomer, since it does let you do an embedded
server) did the bare minimum to talk to apache and iis servers!
And the original http client I did called curl. I have since
replaced that with scratch too, but I still think curl is a
decent way to do it.

anyway though i just wonder if you tried it and found it sucked
(or didn't try it cuz you saw it and was like "this sux" - to
this day my docs are super light) or just didn't see it.