Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

LocoDelPueblo fdp-dyna-hum at nowhere.mx
Thu Oct 3 09:36:17 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 09:13:37 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 09:03:10 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>

>> Wasn't one of the starting points of Nim to be a native
>> Python? (In the same way Crystal is a native Ruby.)
>
> With the difference that Nim has the potential to become a
> native Python with all that's involved, i.e. rich ecosystem a
> la Python. But I think it can become much more than that. If
> you can compile it to C libs then it can become part of many
> things (mobile, embedded, gaming etc.)
>
> Personally, I'd love to see scientists and the like to use Nim
> instead of Python so you can use their code for production
> (more or less) immediately.

Problem is also that people using python don't want to be
programmers... they just do stuff in python, and sometimes these
stuff become mainstream. So if the idea is to say "use Nim
instead of python" you basically kill the "why" the python stuff
started being widely used and developed. You fallback in the
"no-way" again.

I've observed this again two days ago where the UI of for a
command line app required python-qt. The application could have
been made in cpp, easily, but you know the authors just wanted to
make their stuff...but now this ui is available on most linux
distribs, no matter the way it's made.