Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

LocoDelPueblo fdp-dyna-hum at nowhere.mx
Thu Oct 3 10:49:47 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 10:15:49 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 09:49:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>
>> You have a point there. But the good thing about Nim is that
>> you can generate C, C++ and Objective-C:
>>
>> https://nim-lang.org/docs/backends.html
>>
>> This can be done by the developer who works on the actual
>> product. The scientist (or whoever develops the prototype) can
>> do so in Python-like Nim, and then the dev ports or
>> incorporates it with a compiler switch. Say you have great
>> code in Nim and you wanna make an Android or iOS app. Just
>> convert it to C or C++ and compile it for the mobile platform.
>> I've never tried this in practice, but it sounds promising.
>
> Not bad at all:
>
> https://nim-lang.org/docs/nimc.html#cross-compilation-for-android
>
> https://nim-lang.org/docs/nimc.html#cross-compilation-for-ios

My comment earlier was more on the fact that some said that Nim
can be seen as a better python, just like D was sold as a better
C or C++. It will work to some extant. But what will work, will
it work because of the strategy ?

I think that a good example for D is the TSV tools. It works and
is recognized because it's a serious project, tested,
benchmarked, etc. I'm not even sure that the company the author
works at plays **that** an important role. The titled terminal
made in D, also very popular, but made by a non corporate
developer tends to confirm this.

The strategy of "Y is a better X" is to make people moving from X
to Y. So far in D successes are not movers, it's new projects,
corporate or not.