Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 3 11:14:41 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 10:49:47 UTC, LocoDelPueblo wrote:

> My comment earlier was more on the fact that some said that Nim
> can be seen as a better python, just like D was sold as a
> better C or C++. It will work to some extant. But what will
> work, will it work because of the strategy ?
>
> I think that a good example for D is the TSV tools. It works
> and is recognized because it's a serious project, tested,
> benchmarked, etc. I'm not even sure that the company the author
> works at plays **that** an important role. The titled terminal
> made in D, also very popular, but made by a non corporate
> developer tends to confirm this.
>
> The strategy of "Y is a better X" is to make people moving from
> X to Y. So far in D successes are not movers, it's new
> projects, corporate or not.

A big project, say a huge data mining / processing framework,
would definitely help Nim and Python programmers are already
familiar with the syntax. But there are other reasons why
languages become popular. One reason (among many) why even great
projects in D are ignored is D's atrocious ecosystem. In Python
and Java for example I can download stuff I need, install
dependencies (pip and gradle/maven) and that's usually it.