Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:57:13 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 13:47:57 UTC, mipri wrote:
> Read what I say instead of lazily continuing your unproductive
> bitch-fest into pseudo-conversation with me, and you'll catch
> obvious sarcasm just fine.

You went ad-hominem. That has been a plague of these forums for
years. Unfortunately there is no real forum moderation policy in
place, and frankly key developers have had a tendency to go down
this road quite frequently, but moving from something technical
to something personal is not in the spirit of engineering, and
should be avoided, no matter how much you dislike the presented
positions. Most people in this thread have presented reasonable
positions.

But D is moving slowly in the critical area of memory management,
which really is a prerequisite for being a real alternative for
many developers. On the other hand, D is moving, so that is a
good thing, but I really hope that the D community don't scare
off people with the theoretical knowledge to make it work.
Without those people there is a very slim chance of getting it
right.

Other languages are moving to, in this thread Nim has been
highlighted, so comparing Nim's situation to D's situation ought
to be on-topic for this thread. I don't really understand why you
want Chris to sugar-coat his views. Again, I really hope that the
D community don't scare off people with the theoretical knowledge
to design memory management solutions that works well.