Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 18:27:46 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 18:15:10 UTC, Chris wrote:
> How will it work once it's finished?

That's part of what we still need to figure out. What I'm aiming
for in the first version is you compile the D code with ldc then
work the generated shared object back into your workflow, which
won't be modified; you just make the blob then drop it in as if
it was a closed-source library.

Second pass is possibly a plugin with android studio, or at least
the build system. I'm actually totally new to mobile dev (I
personally don't even use smartphone apps!) so lots of learning
as I go. I'm pretty thankful for the work the ldc people have
already done on this, as well as the prior art Joakim did before
he left.

The iOS thing is being led by someone else (idk if he wants to
publicly talk about it yet), but he's very much a competent Mac
person so I have no doubt he'll make it work well.

> Are there any plans for auto generated bridges, e.g. JNI
> calling rt_init() or something?

I do want to put the bindings to the NDK into druntime as well in
core.sys.android. The D foundation is officially backing this
work which makes that more realistic.