Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Oct 4 14:14:33 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 18:15:10 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Thanks. Good on you. How will it work once it's finished? How
> hard would it be to integrate it into an Android Studio / Xcode
> project / toolchain, e.g. could I add it as a dependency or
> would I have to compile it and package it as an additional lib?
> Are there any plans for auto generated bridges, e.g. JNI
> calling rt_init() or something?

I can give some answers related to iOS, although I'm not that guy
working on the iOS project.

The simplest would probably be to add an external build step in
Xcode to compile the D code, which should produce a static
library. Then just link with that static library. It's a bit
simpler on iOS since everything is native code and there are
nothin like JNI that needs to be handled.

For interfacing between the Swift/Objective-C code either the
`extern(C)` or `extern(Objective-C)` can be used. DStep [1] can
generate bindings to Objective-C code.

I think it should be possible to implement an application
completely in D as well.

[1] http://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep