Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 16:56:06 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 16:28:31 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:
> The Flutter project is divided in two parts: engine and
> framework. The engine is written in a mix of C++, Java and
> Objective-C where Java and Objective-C are respectively used to
> access the platform APIs. The framework (what Flutter apps are
> directly using) is written in pure Dart.
> Flutter is using a technique called system channels which is
> basically an RPC-like thing that marshals method calls to/from
> C/C++/Java/Objective-C from/to C++ and Dart. It's slower than
> calling the method from the same language.

Ok, it was not apparent from their system overview chart that
they go through Java, it basically says that the engine is C/C++
and sits on top of a system specific "embedder" layer. So I guess
then that Java is called from the "embedder" layer where the API
isn't available otherwise? But rendering is done straight from
C/C++? It does use its own renderer, right?

> I believe Flutter will be framework of choice for their
> upcoming Fuchsia OS, but currently Dart is very much a second
> class citizen on Android (unlike Kotlin), just like it is on
> iOS. Fortunately, Google have done a stellar job of creating
> good dev experience by providing a solid CLI and editor plugins
> that abstract the platform differences.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Flutter! Being able to do
cross-platform apps for iOS, Android and web did peak my
curiosity, so downloading now to see how it all works.