Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Oct 7 10:38:49 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 5 October 2019 at 08:01:15 UTC, Jack Applegame wrote:

> I recently tried Nim. The first good impression was quickly
> replaced by disappointment.
>
> No nested types, constants and functions. Poor generics and
> templates (but macros are great). Primitive modules system.
> Unclear error messages.
>
> But. Nim's GC (including boehm) is much faster then D's one.
> And Nim compiler creates very compact binaries.

I suppose Nim is not trying to have all features one can possibly
look for in a programming language, rather it's designed as a
"native Python" and that'd be great from my point of view. If
researchers used Nim to write code that they usually write in
Python, it'd speed up the development of real world programs
(especially for programs where performance is of the essence).

There is a trend (started by Google?) to keep PLs simple so that
a) non-programmers can write code too and b) the code is more
robust. Go is one example and now definitely Dart, i.e. there's
only so much you can do / choose from. C++ is out of the question
and D is somewhere between C++ and Python, fast modelling but way
too many features for people who are not really into programing.