Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 08:16:40 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 at 14:00:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
> There are some things I'm not happy with either. But I think,
> as has been mentioned before, the purpose of Nim is to be a
> "native Python", i.e. it produces fast native stand alone
> binaries and you don't need Cython or an interpreter (Nim does
> that in one go).

Interesting that you take that viewpoint, that seems also to be
the angle some in the press are going with:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/python-inspired-nim-version-1-0-of-the-programming-language-launches/

I personally think that probably won't work out for Python
programmers, but it is at least a good marketing strategy.
Although if compiled Python is the goal the goal, I'd think that
Go would be the best "VM" today.

> So the route via C/C++ seems acceptable from Nim's point of
> view. As I have no real world experience with Nim, I don't know
> how often you'll actually need to go low-level when debugging.

What works reasonably well in the JavaScript world for TypeScript
is source-maps. So that you step through the TypeScript code, but
the debugger executes JavaScript.

Something similar ought to be possible for C, but probably takes
a commercial-level effort to be usable.