Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 10 10:40:00 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 10 October 2019 at 08:16:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> Interesting that you take that viewpoint, that seems also to be
> the angle some in the press are going with:
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/python-inspired-nim-version-1-0-of-the-programming-language-launches/
>
> I personally think that probably won't work out for Python
> programmers, but it is at least a good marketing strategy.
> Although if compiled Python is the goal the goal, I'd think
> that Go would be the best "VM" today.

Well, with the advent of GraalVM that already supports Python [1]
and R [2], it will be much harder for Nim to convince Python
users and data miners who use R to make the switch. If you have
one VM that is polyglot you can combine all the widely used
tools, e.g. Java/Kotlin for server/backend, desktop and (maybe)
apps, Python and R for stats.

[1]
https://www.graalvm.org/docs/reference-manual/languages/python/
[2] https://www.graalvm.org/docs/reference-manual/languages/r/