Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 11 12:49:08 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 12:14:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 12:00:38 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> returns). I have it on good authority that the civil service
>> still uses assembler in certain areas (revenue). I wonder why?
>
> Interesting. Maybe they use assembler because a compiler could
> inject malicious code?

My guess is that the civil servants that had learned how to
program in assembler didn't want to change / retrain and since
they couldn't be fired they continued using assembler, but it
might also be a security issue. I know that the public sector
often has the oldest systems for several reasons: 1. security and
stability: an new system introduces new errors / vulnerabilities
and they can't afford to "not work" for a day or two, 2.
reluctance of employees to learn something new, 3. old contracts
etc. Then again, they have no problem accidentally deleting all
your records (has happened to thousands of people). Schools are
often very conservative because a. teachers don't want to learn
something new (_they_ are the teachers after all, why should they
learn anything?), b. the IT guy (which is often a teacher)
learned how to use Internet Explorer, and Chrome of Firefox is
just too much! Personally, I couldn't live without checking out
new technologies.