Most popular programming languages 1965-2019 (visualised)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 17:05:47 UTC 2019

On Friday, 11 October 2019 at 10:06:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Objective-C could only become "big" because of Apple, but when
> I first saw Mac OS X, I knew they'd be big. A lot of people
> laughed and said "Oh, the shiny icons, all Mickey Mouse!" But
> Jobs did the job well.

Right, but there is also a social factor. Many had fond memories
of their first mac, their first computer. Although the machine
itself was crazy expensive, Apple provided "cheap" laser printers
by driving it from the computer rather than building the
rendering engine into the printer. So mac+printer was not
unreasonable for office use with high quality printing. So, in
this period of Microsoft being too dominating, there were plenty
of buyers that wanted Mac to be great again.

> Now, this begs the question: To which extent do PLs influence
> the course of technology (e.g. C in the 80ies) and to which
> extent does the demand / the market created by new technologies
> influence PLs and their use? It's a bit like the hen and the
> egg, ain't it?

Javascript clearly had an impact, but it might have happened with
another language too. As a consequence it is very difficult to
say what would have happened.

Would Go and Swift have the same feature set if D had not
existed? Difficult to say. Have authors of other languages read
the D forums and gotten inspiration from what they have read?
Maybe, I don't know. Swift have at least picked up lambdas like
this "{$0 < $1}", maybe all on their own, maybe they were
inspired from /bin/sh, but I remember arguing for it in the
forums. We'll never know how languages actually evolve... social
dynamics are kind of messy.

> If anything, the video depicts a changing world and society and
> PLs are just one indicator.

Yeah, but is a bit scary that anything that is presented visually
in a crisp and clean manner based on "reputable datasets" are
intuitively taken as true. Human beings have very little
resistance to certain rhetorics. For this topic it was not a big
deal, but for other topics the political connotations are not so
great. Especially in this day and age of AI recommender systems
("Did you like this biased presentation? Then you probably also
will like this biased presentation!" ;-)