Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Oct 16 13:22:05 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019 at 12:01:09 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:

> Tooling is all about the UI people use to develop code (obvious
> but it seems to need saying). Emacs and Vi are all very well
> but they are very 1980s whatever people might do with them in
> 2010s. The 2000s brought us IDEs, originally not very good but
> now the obvious choice for all software development. Go has
> Goland; Rust, C, and C++ have CLion; Java, Kotlin, Groovy,
> Clojure, etc. have IntelliJIDEA; and Python has PyCharm – and
> yes I am as I appear to be, a fan of JetBrain IDEs.
>
> Sadly the D plugin to CLion is really not good enough for
> production use, not from lack of volunteers trying to do stuff,
> but because volunteers can only start stuff like this. After a
> while it needs a full-time team. The Rust plugin got taken on
> by JetBrains. I really cannot see JetBrains taking on the D
> plugin, so that is not a route to resourcing a quality UI for
> development.

The reality is that many programmers use IDEs, so any language
that doesn't have them is losing out. It's my impression, though,
that this community has settled on VS and VS Code as the IDE of
choice. Monetary resources should continue to go into those
efforts so that we can offer at least one good IDE. (Disclaimer:
I no longer use IDEs, so my impression might be wrong.)