Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Oct 17 07:25:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 13:22 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> The reality is that many programmers use IDEs, so any language
> that doesn't have them is losing out. It's my impression, though,
> that this community has settled on VS and VS Code as the IDE of
> choice. Monetary resources should continue to go into those
> efforts so that we can offer at least one good IDE. (Disclaimer:
> I no longer use IDEs, so my impression might be wrong.)

I am not convinced the position "If you want an IDE for D programming you must
use VSCode" is a tenable position in the long run.

I set up the Micrsoft Debian repository for VSCode and installed it and you
get then to have to decide which of three or four different D extensions to
install. Which is the officially supported one or is it a question of "there
are multiple extensions to choose from which you choose is your problem".

Then there is trying to find out out how to use VSCode.

Given I know how to use CLion, and there is the beginnings of what could be an
excellent plugin, I would love for it to get some resource to support the
volunteers.

Supporting multiple IDEs is, like supporting multiple editors (Emacs, Vi,
VIM), a good idea. Having multiple extensions/plugins per IDE/editor is not a
good position for a programming language to be in.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200