Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 17 10:25:11 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 09:13:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> Get real. Most programmers never read forums. I've never read
> forums on the languages I use the most. I stay productive, I
> don't want to talk about how things can be fixed when I can
> easily find ways to move around the issues I face. People pick
> up languages because they have a project (maybe a hobby
> project). They want to be productive.
>
> When hitting a language issue in other languages I do this:
> 1. search stack overflow and find solution in 10 seconds.
> 2. read documentation and find solution in 1-30 minutes.
> 3. search github and find solution in 15-120 minutes
> 4. find a tutorial and go through it (1+ hours)
>
> If I have to do this:
> 5. ask on forums and wait for hours/days.
> 6. submit an issue on github and wait for weeks, months or
> years.
>
> Then I put that language in the drawer and stick with the other
> options. Most people do.

+1

[...]

> What has been marketed as D's front-and-center has changed over
> time and therefore people come to it with very different
> expectations. Which makes things more contentious.

+1 Exactly, yet this fact is always denied.

> Many discussions seem to struggle with this. Is D an
> alternative to C++ or is it in alternative to Python?
>
> It cannot be both, yet it is, and is not, so that is basically
> an inherent struggle that cannot be resolved.
>
> Thus this social dynamic will linger on...

It will, indeed.

Silencing so called negative voices will make no difference to
whether D will be widely adopted or not. Trying to do so is a
sign of ideological tunnel vision. It reminds me of politicians
who - after losing an election - blame those who had warned them
that they'd lose the next elections. Apart from ideology, it
might in some cases have to do with plain financial interests
(clients/investors etc.). But that ain't my concern.