Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 19:49:55 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 17 October 2019 at 19:00:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
>> In D's  case 99% of all problems are due to lack of resources
>> so
>
> Not resources. Process... Expanding the feature set... Rather
> than narrowing down the focus.
>
> Like, there is no point in planning for a borrow checker if you
> don't have people with the right know how and have plenty on
> the plate.  It's a great idea, but probably too late.  That's
> not a dismissive statement, that's just realism.
>
> So why was it put on the table?
First its enhancement not a problem. But maybe its distinction
without a difference. D already have memory safety guaranties but
it relies on GC to do that. What Walter wants is for simple
void* p = malloc();
free(p);
to be marked @safe. Just by looking at it its clear that is safe
but current compiler cant prove it. So he wants to implement
additional checks based on control flow graph. This is not like
Rust's borrow checker. Its much simpler and one motivated man can
do it.

> As I stated elsewhere in this thread, languages become popular
> because they have a use case where they are superior (even if
> the language isn't)

Go, Rust, Swift, Kotlin all new languages had backer. I wish that
language adoption was as you said but real word data contradicts
your view. The only language might fit your example is Ruby but
it wasn't that popular.

I feel like whenever I say AEOA you read that and the go to talk
about ÆØÅ. Close but not what I was talking. I really dont enjoy
that kind of conversation.

Oftopic: https://youtu.be/f488uJAQgmw