Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:24:38 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 11:15:55 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Point taken, yeah, D has great features, and how do you use it?

All the time, and avoiding recent features.

> Desktop / server only I suppose. How does it scale?

Hence the iOS effort.

> Would you use D as other companies use Java and C++.

I've used C++ in commercial capacity in 3 places. All had massive
compile time problems, fragmentation, inability to add
third-party code easily, and were massive debt machines.

I would never, ever start any effort in C++ as it's a sink of
money compared to D. It's just much more expensive.

For small tools productivity can be 2x less with C++.

I think Java is fine when you don't use native. I don't use it,
but friends are and it seems competent AND fixes long-time issues
with C++ such as unsigned.