Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 12:48:52 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 12:42:42 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> Moderation: Something all sites must do in 2019.
>
> Censorship: A government punishing someone for speech.
>
> There's no fear of censorship until Walter becomes the leader
> of a country.
>
> Let's use the mailing list for its purpose, which is to discuss
> the development of the language, not to complain about
> moderation or engage in efforts to convince people the language
> is hopeless.

I agree with you on matters of proper moderation, but this is a
ridiculous definition of censorship that itself borders on the
political. Because usually when one wants to define censorship as
something governments do, it's because one wants non-government
institutions to be able to censor people without being accused of
censorship.

It makes *some* limited sense in the context of "free speech",
where many people genuinely mix up the human value and the
freedom from government interference guaranteed in the US
constitution. It makes no sense in the context of "censorship."

And I say that as somebody in favor of moderation!