Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 18:41:04 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 16:37:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 03:09:02PM +0000, welkam via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> I have this view. If current libraries or services in all
>> languages do not satisfy your needs and you want to build your
>> own solution then D is the perfect language. If you want to
>> take a bunch of libraries, put some glue code and shit a
>> product then D is a bad language for you.
> [...]
>
> Very interesting view.  This probably explains why I like D so
> much -- I've never liked the idea of just throwing a bunch of
> libraries together with some glue code and calling it a
> product.  But I bet most people would disagree.  *shrug*

It suppose to be ship not shit...
Its not really interesting. Its just reality. If you want to
build iOS game you are forced by circumstances to write it in
swift. If you want to make multi platform(PC and consoles) game
based on Unreal engine you are forced to use C++. If your program
requires certain library you would choose a language that has
access to that library. It would be foolish to pick D in those
situations. That said if you want to make a server for a game
then D start to shine because game server require lots of custom
code. When it comes to writing custom code I dont think any
language on the market is better than D.