Re: Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 20 10:30:39 UTC 2019

On 10/20/2019 2:57 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> If we do not define "scaling" then there can be no statement of "some language
> support scaling better than others". We need to be clear what we mean by
> scaling in codebases, but I thought we had a common definition of this
> already.

I don't know what the common definition of it is, but I'd define it as the
complexity of the code goes up linearly with the number of lines. I'd say the
close the complexity is to linear, the better it "scales".

I'd then define complexity as the number of interactions between the lines of code.

This means that the better a language supports encapsulation, the more scalable
it is.

For example, if a language has only one namespace, the larger it gets, the
harder it is to declare a new variable, as it would have to be unique. This
would be a quadratic increase in complexity as the number of declarations increased.