Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 18 14:25:35 UTC 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 at 13:54:19 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> How does any programming language scale? It doesn't, it's just
> a programming language.
>
> If we take scale to mean able to be as easily used by 200
> programmers on a 10,000,000 line codebase as as 1 programmer on
> a 100 line codebase, then generally no-one has any idea, and
> certainly no data. For any language. The whole scaling argument
> regarding codebases is usually vacuous philosophising. Most
> teams use a programming language and then find out how to use
> it for big codebases as for little ones when their little
> codebase becomes a big one. cf. FORTRAN, Fortran, C++, COBOL,
> Go, Rust, Lisp, SML, etc.

"scales" as in consistency (including backward compatibility),
tooling and libraries. As Guillaume said, Java scales very well,
and I think it's because it scores high at the aforementioned
features. Simplicity (or rigidity) is certainly part of it (cf.
Scala - I've heard it's easy to make your code incompatible due
to "too much freedom", or Scheme). Maybe Java (and to a lesser
degree Kotlin) dictates a certain style, but it also gives you a
sense of direction and you know you're "doing the right thing".
This enhances productivity. It's solid and reliable. That's why
many people switched from C++ to Java. D could have been a native
alternative to both C++ and Java and I think it was heading into
that direction, but then it kinda digressed...and now nobody can
actually say where D's place is.