On Forum Moderation

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:31:30 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 at 13:41:58 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/21/19 5:45 PM, welkam wrote:
>> And all the C programmer need to pay more attention when
>> writing their code so they would not get buffer overflows.
>
> Nice simile. I agree there's plenty of evidence ever since the
> Internet has been invented that just giving people advice to
> not feed the trolls doesn't work.

I added new word to my vocabulary that I would not use in the
future :D

It doesnt work not only for not feeding the trolls. It applies to
pretty much everything where humans are involved. For programmers
you can carefully check your code, write tests, have other person
review your code and still bugs get trough. We humans are flawed
and fail constantly and our systems need to take that into
account. If you create a system where success is solely dependent
on good will of the people or them being excellent it will fail.

That is the biggest reason why communism always produces bad
results. While they correctly identify problems with capitalism
their solution to the problems depends on people being smart and
when making decisions they should prioritize betterment of all
instead of personal or family gains. In practice people make
decisions that benefit them and their family.

A good example of system that takes human flaws into account is
science. Scientist fights constantly with bias and have many
systems to help with that and they regularly produce awesome
stuff.