Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Clipsey clipsey at librem.one
Sun Sep 1 21:36:06 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 21:23:56 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at
>> [1] and they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help
>> them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> I think one thing that is important answer between Rust and D
> are.
>
> Do the developers want automatic memory management or manual
> (Rust is manual as you constantly need to think about it).
> Does the project have a lot of parallel processing, or just
> selected parts that runs in parallel? Rust can be advantageous
> when a lot of structures are used in parallel. Graphics are
> usually ridiculously parallel so I don't think we have the same
> problem here. What do you think?
> Does the project need a lot of C/C++ interop. Do you want some
> code in C and gradually move to the new language?
>
> Another question is why it is GTK or die for GIMP?

@nogc while not perfect is still good enough to do tasks that
require the extra amount of custom wrangled speed, so I don't
think that'll be an issue.
I personally think D is pretty nice for multitasking/parallel
code. Granted it's not a language feature like it is in other
languages. Rust are still figuring out how to do their async
system to some extent.
Since GTK is mainly a C API, we'd be doing a lot of C interop
with it (through gtk-d)

Glimpse is "GTK or die" because most of us (p much except one
guy) use (and some work with) GNOME & GTK.