Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Sun Sep 1 21:40:25 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 21:23:56 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at
>> [1] and they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help
>> them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> I think one thing that is important answer between Rust and D
> are.
>
> Do the developers want automatic memory management or manual
> (Rust is manual as you constantly need to think about it).

Yeah.. Rust has kind of compile-time garbage collection. And
automatic memory management doesn't mean that you don't have to
think about memory management. In large applications you have to
think about memory even with automatic memory management and it
is not even easier since you have to understand how the GC of
your language works. Just look for questions, how to reduce
garbage in, for example, Java.

> Do you want some code in C and gradually move to the new
> language?

As far as I understand the UI rewrite will happen from scratch.

> Another question is why it is GTK or die for GIMP?

Gimp is the reason why GTK was written in the first place, GTK is
"Gimp ToolKit".