Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 22:56:32 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 19:51:58 UTC, Clipsey wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> People who forked GIMP, a popular open source image editor are
>> discussing on which language to choose for their rewrite at
>> [1] and they are considering D. Maybe some of you can help
>> them out.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glimpse-editor/Glimpse/issues/70
>
> Oh hey, I didn't expect this to be shared here, haha.
> Yeah we're considering D, though i'm the main advocate for it.
> So sadly there's p big chances that Rust will be chosen over D.

I'm a bit confused; OP said that it's a rewrite, but looking at
the readme on Github:

What is different about Glimpse?
For now, not a lot! The initial aim is to provide a downstream
fork of the GNU Image Manipulation Program that has a less
problematic name so there are no potential barriers to using the
software in businesses and educational institutions.

This is a long-standing problem that has drawn user concern for
over a decade, but whenever the issue is raised it tends to be
dismissed. We do not believe the upstream project's explanation
or workaround is enough to address the problem.

In future versions we intend to address other long-standing
complaints, particularly around the graphical user interface.

How will the package versions work?
Glimpse 0.1.0 will be a simple re-branding of the GNU Image
Manipulation Program based on version 2.10.12, with some minor
fixes to the UI and build system. You can see how this effort is
going in the dev-g210 branch.

We will stick to following upstream releases until we "hard fork"
at v3.0. After the hard fork we can be more ambitious with our
changes.

It looks like it's only a rebranding for non-technical reasons,
unless this rewrite is part of the aforementioned "hard fork".
Can I ask you to clarify?