Programming language for GIMP fork's rewrite

Clipsey clipsey at librem.one
Mon Sep 2 09:27:44 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 22:56:32 UTC, Meta wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 19:51:58 UTC, Clipsey wrote:
>> On Sunday, 1 September 2019 at 18:57:07 UTC, Kamran wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Oh hey, I didn't expect this to be shared here, haha.
>> Yeah we're considering D, though i'm the main advocate for it.
>> So sadly there's p big chances that Rust will be chosen over D.
>
> I'm a bit confused; OP said that it's a rewrite, but looking at
> the readme on Github:
>
> What is different about Glimpse?
> For now, not a lot! The initial aim is to provide a downstream
> fork of the GNU Image Manipulation Program that has a less
> problematic name so there are no potential barriers to using
> the software in businesses and educational institutions.
>
> This is a long-standing problem that has drawn user concern for
> over a decade, but whenever the issue is raised it tends to be
> dismissed. We do not believe the upstream project's explanation
> or workaround is enough to address the problem.
>
> In future versions we intend to address other long-standing
> complaints, particularly around the graphical user interface.
>
> How will the package versions work?
> Glimpse 0.1.0 will be a simple re-branding of the GNU Image
> Manipulation Program based on version 2.10.12, with some minor
> fixes to the UI and build system. You can see how this effort
> is going in the dev-g210 branch.
>
> We will stick to following upstream releases until we "hard
> fork" at v3.0. After the hard fork we can be more ambitious
> with our changes.
>

> It looks like it's only a rebranding for non-technical reasons,
> unless this rewrite is part of the aforementioned "hard fork".
> Can I ask you to clarify?

Glimpse 0.x will be a soft fork of GIMP, 1.0 will be a hard fork
based of GIMP 3.x where we will start to add new features and
major UI tweaks, meanwhile we plan to work on an entire UI
rewrite (2.x) during that period to solve a lot of UX problems
that are present in the current design, and to get a fresh plate
that is easier to experiment with UX wise.

(Sorry for any typos and such, writing this on a phone)