[GSoC] 'Independency of D from the C Standard Library' progress and update thread

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 20:16:24 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 at 17:56:07 UTC, Stefanos Baziotis
wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 September 2019 at 17:30:54 UTC, 12345swordy
> wrote:
>>
>> Is the implementation of memory allocation of the C standard
>> library ever going to be achieved?
>>
>> - Alex
>
> It depends on what you mean "achieved". Let me state some
> questions:
> - Why do you want that memory allocator ?
> - What this allocator should be able to achieve ?
> - Why the libc one is not appropriate for the job ?
> - Why no other allocator is appropriate for the job ?
> - Can we create and maintain this allocator ?
>
> These questions are presented humbly. And they are important.
> The fact that I did not set and answer such questions firstly
> _to myself_
> for the first part of the project, meant that I did the project
> twice,
> yet all this work was just thrown away as far as the D
> community is concerned.
>
> - Stefanos

- It is easier to debug and read in the d langauge then in the c
language.
- I was shown faster memory allocation speed compared to libc.
- other memory allocator are not part of d langauge standard
library.

Most importantly a yet another disappointed development I seen in
regards to the development of the d language.

- Alex