DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

nkm1 t4nk074 at openmailbox.org
Mon Sep 16 18:23:37 UTC 2019

On Monday, 16 September 2019 at 09:13:48 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
  DIP 1021, "Argument Ownership and Function Calls", is now ready
> On Monday, 16 September 2019 at 09:13:48 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> DIP 1021, "Argument Ownership and Function Calls", is now ready
> for Final Review. This is the last chance for community
> feedback before the DIP is handed off to Walter (the author in
> this case) and Átila for the Formal Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> The current revision of the DIP for this review is located here:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/1d78cdf1613911439848a49e9053a7bbf5a9de46/DIPs/DIP1021.md

The problem with this DIP is it a part of some bigger picture
(which includes DIP1000, DIP25 and probably other stuff) and it
seems no one understands what this bigger picture is. TBH, it's
not at all clear to me that even Walter knows what the end result
will be. Maybe he's just making it up as he goes along?
Without understanding the whole thing there is not much to
discuss. Maybe it's a good idea, maybe not. Who knows. Anyway, my
opinion is all this stuff designed to support @nogc turn D into a
mess. Why not just use Rust instead?