DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

Piotrek dummy at dummy.gov
Sat Sep 21 13:33:59 UTC 2019

On Friday, 20 September 2019 at 21:51:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> D supports FP as a useful paradigm, not as a religion. It
> allows one to easily mix&match FP with imperative code.
>
> I figure we can do the same for ownership/borrowing, that's why
> it has a separate function attribute (@live) for it.

Personally I am supporter of this approach and I think it is very
comfortable for an average software developer.

My observation as a programmer is that in general easier
solutions win. This is a simplification of course because there
are other critical factors like tools, libraries, compatibility,
cost etc.

For example I can watch Python victory march in the IT industry.
It devastates other languages in terms of adoption. Yet it is
slow, has garbage collector and other "features" which are
considered not nice by the programming elite. But on the other
hand it has almost all functionalities you would think of and
they work quite well with each other. Just search for a library,
import a module and call a function. Easy, elegant and effective.

And I think it is good to look at "academic solutions" like
borrow checker from a proper perspective as they usually don't
work seamlessly in large projects and can cost more than they
give.

Cheers,
Piotrek