DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Final Review

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Sep 20 21:51:17 UTC 2019

On 9/20/2019 9:46 AM, Piotrek wrote:
> Sorry to say that but Rust community is full of extremists. The promises of the
> Rust language has to taken with grain of salt. I've seen many negative opinions
> about the actual Rust usage.
>
> Let me list just 3 points of the Rust language issues on software development(in
> general):
>
> 1. No garbage collector - this means no fully automatic memory management (cycles).
> 2. Despite the Rust funboys' claims a compiler won't fix all memory bugs at
> compile time, just to name array accesses, but that is not all.
> 3. No GUI library because of the language limitations.
>
> Of course any memory safety checks at compile time are nice but I would be
> careful with paying too much for it.
>
> Because of its design Rust seems to be less productive than other popular
> languages .

I agree that Rust appears to be significantly harder to write code in. I do not
know why GUI libraries appear to be a big problem for Rust.

But consider also that functional programming has its problems as well, both in
terms of expressivity and performance.

D supports FP as a useful paradigm, not as a religion. It allows one to easily
mix&match FP with imperative code.

I figure we can do the same for ownership/borrowing, that's why it has a
separate function attribute (@live) for it.