[SAoC] MLIR Support for LDC

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Wed Sep 25 11:02:35 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 01:47:43 UTC, Roberto
Rosmaninho wrote:

> For now, I have just two questions:
> I've already started to play with LDC source code but I still
> don't know how to run and test the modifications that I
> writing. How can I see a "printf" that I put in a file just to
> test a variable?
> How is the best way to debug LDC on MacOS? And how to enable
> all flags of debug and log?

I forgot to remind you: Don't hesitate to ask LDC-specific
questions in
the LDC gitter [1]. Apart from the fact that it's very welcome,
you also have a better chance that seasoned developers will see
it and/or
answer like kinke and Johan (although they will probably see it
here too).

> I'm currently working on irstate.* and declarations.cpp, any
> tips or warnings about these files?

I personally don't have any experience with those files. Bear in
mind that
in my experience, questions about constrained situations (like,
oh in the visit of
ClassDeclaration I don't understand the x) are easier to answer
than broad ones.

Now that you mentioned it though, you reminded me that LDC does
not have
a header description for a file (like on the top of every file,
describing
what the file does roughly). I find this useful. I also find
useful
a source guide like DMD's [2]. I'm trying to construct one on my
own bit by bit.
If along the course of your project you're interested to
contribute to the
documentation, let me know.

For now, you can safely ignore the last paragraph, I just left it
there
for future reference. One thing to have in mind though is that
you probably
will need to get somewhat comfortable with the DMD source code,
so this
DMD guide might help.

Best regards,
Stefanos Baziotis