Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Sep 25 15:11:57 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 15:05:59 UTC, bpr wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 September 2019 at 14:36:44 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Let me guess, the reasoning behind it was the same in the
>> 70ies. Force "clean code"? I.e. patronizing. Please enlighten
>> me.
>
> I believe it was introduced in the seminal paper "The next 700
> programming languages" by Peter J. Landin, in the ISWIM
> abstract language of that paper, and later picked up by
> implemented languages later. ABC was the one that most
> influenced Python.
>
> My guess is that it had nothing to do with being patronizing,
> and that it was just a more readable notation, but that's just
> like, my opinion man.

Thanks. Yeah, I guessed its goal was to get a more readable
notation, but you can get that with any language that doesn't
force you to indent. It's common sense that you structure your
code visually, but I call it patronizing or nanny syntax, if you
are forced to use whitespace, there are many ways to visually
structure your code but this should be up to the programmer /
team / company.