Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Sep 27 13:09:11 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 13:04:37 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> If any language is going to overtake Python or R among
> scientific users, I am betting Julia will be that language.

Yep. I agree. It's geared towards scientific programming and the
devs are well aware of the drawbacks of Python and Matlab.

"Julia features optional typing, multiple dispatch, and good
performance, achieved using type inference and just-in-time (JIT)
compilation, implemented using LLVM. It is multi-paradigm,
combining features of imperative, functional, and object-oriented
programming. Julia provides ease and expressiveness for
high-level numerical computing, in the same way as languages such
as R, MATLAB, and Python, but also supports general programming.
To achieve this, Julia builds upon the lineage of mathematical
programming languages, but also borrows much from popular dynamic
languages, including Lisp, Perl, Python, Lua, and Ruby." [1]

[1] https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/