Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

GreatSam4sure greatsam4sure at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 15:11:26 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 26 September 2019 at 13:26:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 September 2019 at 06:14:24 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>
>> The language should be stabilized, GC improved (I know it has
>> gotten much better), replace deprecated Phobos packages (XML,
>> JSON, stream), focus on vi/Emacs/VSCode and maybe people will
>> come and stay around.
>
> There's a chicken-and-egg problem, though. D doesn't have the
> type of community that languages like Rust, Go, or Python has.
> I remember in the 90s when Python was insignificant to the
> programming world, they had their community of true believers
> promoting the language and making it more usable. In 2005, when
> I made my move to R for my computing, I looked at Python and it
> had little to offer. They had a community that made a lot of
> stuff happen in a hurry, and they promoted the language well.
> It's not even a particularly good choice for scientific
> computing, yet it is now a giant in that area.
>
> D has its mailing list and a few people doing their own
> projects (I'm in that group) but not a lot of blog posts or
> podcasts or tutorials, and can't even put together
> documentation for Dub. You read the mailing list and about two
> out of every three posts is negative. Until some people step up
> to be leaders of the community, nothing else will matter as far
> as D adoption goes. For all the years I've been involved, it's
> always been people looking to Walter and Andrei to make things
> happen, and I haven't seen anything like that with any other
> language.

This is a newbie point of view.

The biggest problem to D adoption is this community IMHO. Almost
everything here is negative. The community is 95% negative to the
language. There are people here that never see anything good
about D yet they are here. The community is damaging to D image.

It is a community that is out to destroy the language. All the
hope of me using D has been almost destroyed.

Yet D prefers to kotlin, java, C#, etc. For me.

The leadership and most people in the community seem to be the
opposite poles yet we want D to have great adoption.

Just open your google and search for D you will read so many
negative things about the language. Come to the community, the
story is the same.

This is the most negative community to its own language I have
ever known of. The story has to change. This community greatly
discourage me. It is my biggest problem using D.

I have personally come to believe that many people in this
community is sponsor against the language.

Pls if you know you are no longer interest in D it will be better
not to discourage others.

Also, the leadership should handle the difference between them
any community member to prevent them from pouring their
frustration here.