Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 19:52:01 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 18:58:31 UTC, JN wrote:
> I don't think it's strictly that. It's more like they are
> looking for a way to improve developer experience for their
> respective platform. They don't have to necessarily look for
> isolation, they just don't want to make any effort to support
> other platforms more than necessary.

It is pretty obvious that Apple doesn't want to make it easy to
port iOS apps to Android. Same with Microsoft and
Windows-applications. They have both made too many
developer-hostile moves over the years for this not to be true.
Microsoft even did it with their browser for over a decade. Apple
did it with iOS Safari as well.

Google is more in a grey area. They have fewer reasons to lock in
and lock out.

> Kotlin is obviously a replacement for Java. Due to various
> reasons, Java's been quite conservative feature-wise and it's
> losing ground to C#, which is feels much more modern. Kotlin is
> an attempt to bring up Java to C# levels for developers, while
> still being able to interop and make use of the massive JVM
> ecosystem.

They are not competing with C#, they are competing with Swift...

> Go... I think Go started as a side project by some googlers?

AFAIK it was an attempt to build a system programming language
for internal use at Google that would allow them to hire cheaper
labour than C++ programmers.  But Go had problems gaining
traction within Google.