Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri Sep 27 18:58:31 UTC 2019

On Friday, 27 September 2019 at 18:41:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Seems like the adoption of new languages today is primarily
> driven by a desire by big corporations to avoid compatibility
> and isolate their own eco systems.
>
> Apple/Swift.
> Microsoft/C#.
> Google/Go/Koitlin.
> Oracle/Java.

I don't think it's strictly that. It's more like they are looking
for a way to improve developer experience for their respective
platform. They don't have to necessarily look for isolation, they
just don't want to make any effort to support other platforms
more than necessary.

Swift is obviously a replacement for Objective-C. Objective-C is
already incompatible and isolated, because it's THE language for
iOS/macOS, and basically doesn't exist elsewhere. But it is quite
outdated, and developers writing apps for Apple platforms would
like to use a more modern language.

Kotlin is obviously a replacement for Java. Due to various
reasons, Java's been quite conservative feature-wise and it's
losing ground to C#, which is feels much more modern. Kotlin is
an attempt to bring up Java to C# levels for developers, while
still being able to interop and make use of the massive JVM
ecosystem.

Go... I think Go started as a side project by some googlers? I
think the goal was to offer an alternative to C/C++. Nowadays we
have D, Rust, Crystal but back then there weren't really
alternatives if you were looking for something that isn native
but isn't C/C++.