Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Sep 30 10:23:41 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 09:57:59 UTC, nkm1 wrote:
> On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 09:21:30 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> D is theoretically in a good position to do a spring cleaning.
>> But then again, I fear this will never happen.
>
> But the big one is @nogc and all its associated machinery. This
> is the killer, the biggest source of all the mess. And getting
> rid of that is not going to happen. Instead you'll see more and
> more stuff designed to support @nogc. Complaining about it is
> useless. So I personally don't complain, even though I
> disapprove of this course and consider it the only real
> strategic mistake in D.
> This is, of course, assuming that maximising the number of
> users is the strategic goal. OTOH, all these "f... off, don't
> whine, do it yourself" on the forum suggest that it's not
> actually such an important goal. As Adam Ruppe mentioned, more
> users, more problems. Which is fair enough, so indeed why
> whine? It just annoys people and provokes trolling.

Whine: "3. To complain or protest with a whine or as if with a
whine." [1]. "Whining" is not constructive and does not propose
any solution. However, _a lot of people_ criticizing D over the
years have done so suggesting concrete solutions, and yet they
have consistently been labelled as "whiners" or "trolls". If it's
true that the D leadership and enthusiasts are not interested in
users (and everything hints at that), then why do they complain
about "negativity that hinders adoption of D"? Wanna have your
cake and eat it? That's a rather schizophrenic attitude: "Don't
put off users, but to hell with them, we don't give a damn about
users anyway!" Ironically, the D leadership are the real whiners,
they've been complaining about low adoption rates for years, and
yet treat their target group like unworthy worms. Not a good way
to sell a product. Yeah, no, I do wonder why D is not more
popular.

You're basically saying that there's no cure for D and that it's
is beyond hope. I wish the D leadership finally published a
statement to this effect on dlang.org. Something like "D is a
volunteer effort and serves no purpose other than playing around
with features and ideas. It ships with no guarantees of stability
or backward compatibility as we pretty much do what we please.
Use at your own peril. Complaints will be ignored."

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whine