Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Sep 30 15:43:38 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 11:40:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> But you can not rely on GC on small embedded systems. Even
> allocators that doesn't combat fragmentation is a relevant
> issue.
>
> So if embedded is a target niche then such runtime features
> must be addressed.
>
> If not, why would a project manager pick D over Go (beyond
> syntax preferences)?

Bare metal or small embedded systems with a limited OS you cannot
often use the standard library anyway. That's often the case with
C as well unless you port the clib standard calls which is
unusual. Often you have to work with proprietary APIs anyway.

For OS agnostic D libraries it makes sense to remove any GC
support but for OS related libraries it doesn't matter much as
you almost always have some custom API.

Go is probably one of the worst choices for bare metal as it
relies on a runtime. D has betterC which makes it more suitable
for bare metal. Right now I think betterC is a bit limited and I
would actually like to see this part expanded, like full class
support for example.