Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

JN 666total at wp.pl
Mon Sep 30 16:47:51 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 11:05:58 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> I though this thread was about Nim. Nim hit 1.0 which I think
> is great because we need alternative systems languages. Instead
> this thread becomes some kind of panic for the D community
> because Nim advances and many think D doesn't.

While I don't fully subscribe to the language war theory, I don't
see Nim as any competition. I just don't see anything going on
for Nim right now. I expect it will linger on the same level of
popularity as say Pascal, with some dedicated community, support
in most online compiler tools, some IDE plugins, but nothing
else. Even compared to D... I just don't see Nim ever going big

> libraries/interfaces are more immature. Rust is the most
> competitive contender but as complicated Rust can be D can
> really be an option here. Most companies want a solution
> quickly and with good quality and D could provide this fast
> path. For my next project, I will suggest using D instead for
> those kinds of services.

Many people mistakenly assume Rust's popularity comes down to
borrow checker & memory safety features. But it is just a bonus.
Most of the Rust's popularity comes from active community and
good language focus. Lack of language runtime is a plus too,
because it makes it a very good language for targeting
embedded/WebAssembly.

> I don't mind GC that much but removing GC from Phobos isn't bad
> either so the priority is not that high for me. Could someone
> please explain why @nogc is a priority. What I think is one
> high priority is to get reference counted GC in D because that
> opens up D for the performance crowd who do not want stop the
> world GC.

I think no matter what you do, C++ folks will complain. They're
just triggered by the word GC. That's why every single discussion
thread about D outside of this forums starts at the GC. Then
someone will mention @nogc or refcounting. Then someone will
chime in about how you lose most of the packages and standard
library because it assumes GC is present. And then people will
just go "oh man, that is so complicated".