Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 17:01:11 UTC 2019

On Monday, 30 September 2019 at 16:47:51 UTC, JN wrote:
> Many people mistakenly assume Rust's popularity comes down to
> borrow checker & memory safety features. But it is just a
> bonus. Most of the Rust's popularity comes from active
> community and good language focus. Lack of language runtime is
> a plus too, because it makes it a very good language for
> targeting embedded/WebAssembly.

Probably true, but I think Rust is the hipster language of
imperative languages. The fact that they had a fairly active
community before it was usable says something, I think.

That hipster-factor came from referencing advanced type theory
(the theoretical foundation for the borrow checker) and also
providing a ML-ish academicish syntax.

C++/D is bread-and-butter in comparison

> And then people will just go "oh man, that is so complicated".

Memory management ought to be integrated into the language
semantics and not delegated to libraries though. Otherwise it
quickly becomes complicated for the programmer...

So, that is a weakness that C++ and D shares.