D perfomance

Guillaume Piolat firstname.lastname at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 12:37:48 UTC 2020

On Friday, 24 April 2020 at 13:44:18 UTC, serge wrote:

> Could you please elaborate on that? what are you referring to
> as backend?

I was mentionning LLVM vs GCC vs Intel compiler backend, the part
that converts code to instructions after the original language is
out of sight.

> To me techempower stats is pretty good indicator - it shows
> json processing, single/multiquery requests, database, static.
> Overall performance across those stats give pretty good idea,
> how language and web framework is created, its ecosystem.
> For example if language is fast on basic operations but two
> frameworks show less then adequate performance then obviously
> something wrong with the whole ecosystem - it could be
> difficult to create  fast and efficient apps for average
> developer. For example Scala - powerfull but yet very
> complicated language with tons of problems. Most of Scala
> projects failed. It is very difficult and slow to create
> efficient  applications for  average developer. It kinds
> requires rocket scientist to write good code in Scala.  Does D
> exhibit same problem?

Very fair reasoning.

I don't think D has as much problems as Scala, D has a very
gentle learning curve and it's not difficult to be productive in.
But I'd say most of D's problems are indeed ecosystem-related,
possibly because of the kind of personnalities that D attracts :
the reluctance from D programmers to gather around the same piece
of code makes the ecosystem more insular than needed, as is
typical with native programming. D code today has a tendency to
balkanize based on various requirements such as exceptions or
not, runtime or not, @safe or not, -betterC or not... It seems to
me languages where DIY is frowned upon (Java) or discouraged by
the practice of FFI have better library ecosystems, for better or
worse.