D perfomance

JN 666total at wp.pl
Sun Apr 26 19:25:52 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 26 April 2020 at 12:37:48 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> But I'd say most of D's problems are indeed ecosystem-related,
> possibly because of the kind of personnalities that D attracts
> : the reluctance from D programmers to gather around the same
> piece of code makes the ecosystem more insular than needed, as
> is typical with native programming. D code today has a tendency
> to balkanize based on various requirements such as exceptions
> or not, runtime or not, @safe or not, -betterC or not... It
> seems to me languages where DIY is frowned upon (Java) or
> discouraged by the practice of FFI have better library
> ecosystems, for better or worse.

These are connected. Languages like Java don't give you options.
You will use the GC, you will use OOP. Imagine an XML library.
Any Java XML DOM library will offer a XMLDocument object with a
load method (or constructor). This is expected and more or less
the same in every library.

D doesn't force the paradigm on you. Some people will want to use
the GC, some won't, some will want to use OOP, some will avoid it
like fire. It's a tradeoff, for higher flexibility and power you
trade some composability.