ddili.org is down due to malware infestation

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 11:31:26 UTC 2020

On Monday, 10 August 2020 at 03:40:33 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Luckily, there is no issue with archiving and the content is
> generated by 'make' and stored on Github anyway. I am trying to
> convince HostGator that *I know* there is no malware. >:)

Some computer worms search the web for outdated vulnerable
software, such as forums, and spread by infecting the scripts.
Then the machine can be used by cybercriminals for nefarious
activities, such as sending out spam.

Some particularly insidious worms succeed well in hiding
themselves, e.g. using "rootkits", so they may be difficult to
detect.

If you would like to keep your current host, I suggest the
following:

1. Make a complete backup of all your account data (files,
database...)

2. Completely wipe all your account data

3. Rebuild everything from scratch:

- Rebuild from source and re-upload static content (such as the
HTML render of your book)

- Reinstall any dynamic software such as the forum, using the
current latest version

- Carefully restore applicable parts of the database (most worms
hide in files, but there exist vulnerability classes, such as PHP
code injection, which would allow them to hide in the database).

4. Present proof that you have done this to your host. This
should be sufficient for them to restore the account.

It might help to know (and to disclose to your host) the nature
of the malware itself. If you like, I could have a look (I've had
to deal with such incursions before), please get in touch.

- Vladimir